HAIR CUTTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Shampoo your hair the same day, or the day before sampling is done. Ideally, shampoo hair, let it dry, and cut the sample soon after.
- Cut hair anywhere on the head and as close to the scalp as possible. Cut small samples from a few places on scalp to avoid it being noticeable.
- Set each sample down on a surface and measure 1 inch or 2 centimeters from the cut end near root or scalp. After 1 inch of hair is measured, cut excess and discard, save that 1 inch portion for testing. Also, do not send hair cut from the ends of long hair. It will not give accurate results.
- Send enough hair, the lab requires 125 mg of hair. When you place your order, I will send you a scale for measuring and complete instructions.
- Print your name, age, and gender on the sampling envelop provided.
Shaved head– cut hair with a clean electric razor. Save the clippings in a paper envelope and then razor cut it again in a week or so, and repeat perhaps a few times until you fill a tablespoon with hair or tip the scale that will be provided.
Tints and Dyes- rarely affect the test because they do not contain any minerals. Therefore, you may sample dyed hair. Ideally, take a hair sample before dying your hair.
Permanents or Bleached hair- these treatments somewhat alter the structure of the hair. Sample the hair before a treatment or Wash the hair for at least a few weeks before sampling the hair.
Water Softener, if your home has one- before sampling hair, you must shampoo it four times with unsoftened tap water or reverse osmosis water.